Spiced apricot harissa lamb shanks slowly cooked until they are beautifully tender and nearly falling off the bone. Fruity cous cous jewelled with pomegranate seeds, mint and coriander to provide a balance to the rich lamb shanks.
This recipe was first written and published by Belazu.
Ingredients for spiced apricot harissa lamb shanks with jewelled cous cous Serves: 4
- 4 lamb shanks
- 50ml early harvest extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 jar apricot harissa
- 200g dried apricots
- 4 fresh apricots
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml water
- Orange zest and juice
- 250g barley cous cous
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 spring onions
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 25g coriander
- 25g mint
- 25ml apple vinegar
- Salt to taste
Method for spiced apricot harissa lamb shanks with jewelled cous cous
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pot that is big enough for all 4 shanks and lightly brown the shanks all over then remove from the pan. Whilst browning the shanks, slice the onions and garlic. Once you’ve removed the shanks add the onion and garlic to the pan and soften them until lightly golden. Chop the dried apricots as its cooking.
- When the onions are done add the dried apricots for 2 to 3 minutes and then the apricot harissa, cook out for a further 2 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a light simmer. Add the shanks and again bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and reduce to a low heat. Cook for between 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on the size of the shanks, they should be in danger of falling apart but just clinging together ideally.
- Whilst the shanks are cooking place the cous cous in a bowl and stir through the oil until well mixed in. Pour over boiling water until just covered, give a mix and cling film well and leave to absorb for 8 mins. Bash out the pomegranate seeds and reserve. Chop the herbs and reserve. After 8 minutes remove the film and fluff up the cous cous with a fork separating the grains.
- Either allow to cool if eating later or if you’re doing it to coincide add the other ingredients now before serving with the shanks and sauce.