Dolsot bibimbap is a Korean rice dish, served in a stove-hot stone bowl – the ‘dolsot’. The bowl is gently heated on the stove or in the oven, before adding a heap of cooked short-grain rice, and a number of carefully presented vegetables. This is then topped with a raw egg, and a little chilli paste, stirred through quickly at the table.
Almost any leftovers can be used to top the dish, making it even quicker to put together. For a meatier version, top with marinaded bulgogi beef or tofu. The quantities below are for one portion, however the recipe is easy to scale up.
Ingredients Serves: 1
- 1 portion white rice
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
In addition, choose a few - or all - of the following toppings:
- 1 dried shitake mushroom, soaked in warm water overnight, sliced finely, and stir-fried with a dash of light soy or Japanese soy sauce
- 1/4 carrot cut into matchsticks, stir fried for a few minutes, seasoned with a little light soy
- 1/4 courgette cut into matchsticks, stir fried for a few minutes, seasoned with a little light soy
- Handful of bean-sprouts, stir fried for a few minutes until softened, and toss with sesame oil
- 1/8 cucumber cut into matchsticks, sprinkled with salt and left for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry before using
- Handful of spinach, wilted in a pan, and tossed with sesame seeds and a little sesame oil
- Pine nuts, toasted
- Place stone bowls into a cold oven, and heat to 200C
- Put the rice on to cook according to instructions on the pack.
- Prepare the vegetables, and cook each individually. Place into small dishes separately, and set aside.
- Take bowl out of oven, and set over a low heat on the hob.
- Pour in a little sesame oil, and use oven gloves to move about until coated.
- Add the rice, and let is sit on the hob for a good five minutes - you'll hear the rice crackling.
- While the rice is crisping, warm the toppings in a pan if needed, and arrange over the top, in a circle. Include a spoon of the red bean paste. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Crack egg into the centre, and move to a heat proof mat to serve.
- At the table mix rapidly and eat.
Korean Dolsot Bibimbap Recipe - white rice, topped with vegetables served in a searingly hot stone bowl