Occasionally after several days of consuming big meals, I crave for a crunchy green stir fry. Below I am sharing a recipe using dried shiitake mushrooms, dried beancurd knots and Chinese broccoli. It requires both stir frying and simmering techniques - very satisfying and comforting, perfect for two with some rice on the side.
This recipe is written by Cherry Tang, a London-based food writer specialising in Cantonese home cooking.
Ingredients for Chinese broccoli and mushroom stir fry Serves: 2
- 200g Chinese broccoli (Gai lan) or Tenderstem broccoli
- 10 dried beancurd knots
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small carrot, around 50g
- 1 clove of garlic
- 10g ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- A few drops of dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp XO sauce
- 150ml water (ideally the water used to rehydrate the mushrooms)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp water
- 20g vegetable oil for frying
Equipment for Chinese broccoli and mushroom stir fry
Method for Chinese broccoli and mushroom stir fry
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms and beancurd knots in room temperature water for 2 hours. Once ready, remove everything from the water. Keep the flavoured water for later use.
- Squeeze out the extra water from the mushrooms. Cut their stems off and then slice the mushroom cups into strips.
- Slice the carrot into julienne. Finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- Using your index finger as reference, if the Chinese broccoli stems are too long or big, cut them in half so that they are easy to fry. Wash thoroughly.
- Place the broccoli in a saucepan filled with room temperature water. Bring the pan to boil and then blanch them for a minute. Remove the broccoli from the heat and then run under tap water for a minute to cool down. They should still feel firm when pressing. Keep the broccoli in a sieve to get rid of excess water.
- Mix the rice wine, XO sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl, set aside.
- Heat a wok until very hot. Add 20g vegetable oil followed by the mushrooms. Fry them for 1 minute and then add salt, white pepper and sugar.
- Continue frying for another minute and then add a few drops of dark soy sauce for the colour.
- Add the carrot and beancurd knots. Fry for 2 minutes until you see most of the moisture is evaporated.
- Add the XO sauce mixture and then fry for 30 seconds. Add 150ml flavoured water and then simmer for 2 minutes at low heat.
- Add the broccoli and then turn up to medium high heat. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add light soy sauce and optional splash of sesame oil to taste.
- Mix the cornflour and water together and then add to the wok, this will thicken the sauce a bit.
- Cook for another minute and then it is ready to serve.