Simple Japanese soy sauce salad dressing recipe Serves: 4
- Mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and sesame oil. Keep in the fridge until needed.
- Toss with lettuce, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, cucumber and finely sliced spring onions to serve.
Teriyaki sauce recipe
- Heat the sake, sugar, soy sauce, and mirin in a small pan, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix together the cornflour and cold water, and pour into the pan. Heat, and stir until thickened.
- This teriyaki sauce recipe can be kept refrigerated, and then warmed slightly before use. Brush onto or pour over meat or fish for the last couple of minutes of cooking.
Teriyaki chicken thighs, serves 3-4
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 quantity teriyaki sauce (above)
- Sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Bone the chicken thighs, removing all the skin and any fat. Cut the meat into bite size pieces.
- Pan fry for 5-10 minutes until cooked through. Pour over the teriyaki sauce, and stir for 1 minute, until well coated and reduced slightly.
- Serve straight away, or leave to cool if using in a bento box - perhaps even make the night before, and keep in the fridge.
WIN! Fancy winning one of these cute bento boxes? We’re giving away two of our character bento boxes – the samurai and the pink geisha. To enter the competition just tell us what you’d put in your bento box. Post your entries as comments at the bottom of this article. Remember to tell us which bento box (geisha or samurai) you’d like to win when you enter. Competition closes Wednesday 26th November 2014 at 5pm - don't miss out!