There’s nothing quite like waking up to corn tortillas and the smoke-spice aroma of Mexican tomato sauce. Huevos Rancheros was a common brunch for Mexican farm workers, which then became a traditional North American and Mexican breakfast recipe. This bright and colourful dish brings rich contrast in every bite. Cut through the unctuous egg yolk and let it flow across the crisp fried tortilla. Enjoy the mild heat of the chipotle chilli flakes balanced with the creamy avocado. And the salty feta is a perfect foil to the freshly chopped coriander leaves. The huevos rancheros recipe is a wonderful dish of textures and spice!
You can buy corn tortillas, but it only takes 10 minutes to make your own from scratch – and they’re certainly worth the effort. Give it a try here ‘How to make corn tortillas’.
Ingredients Serves: 4
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (approx. 200g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 400g tin plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp Mexican oregano
- ½ tsp Chipotle chilli flakes
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped coriander
- 8 small corn tortillas (see recipe)
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 fried eggs
- 2 avocadoes, peeled and sliced
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Coriander, chopped
- Refried beans, heated (optional)
- Add the olive oil and onion to a pan, and fry over a medium heat until the onion starts to brown at the edges. Add the garlic, and fry for a further five minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the garlic and onion are cooked, pour over the tinned tomatoes, oregano, chipotle chill flakes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce reduces to a rich puree.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan and fry the tortillas one-by-one in oil on both sides until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Allow two tortillas per person. To serve, spread a couple of tablespoons of the tomato sauce onto each tortilla. Then top with a fried egg and a quarter avocado. Sprinkle over the feta cheese and coriander. If using, ladle the hot refried beans on the side. Your Mexican breakfast is served!