Welsh rarebit is a seductive combination of tangy cheddar, earthy ale, warming mustard and rich egg. So take this classic comfort dish to a new level with a spoon of summer truffle mustard, for amplified umami flavour.
Ingredients for truffle rarebit
- 50ml ale
- 120g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 25g butter
- 1tsp summer truffle mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 slices good bread
How to make truffle rarebit
- Preheat your grill to high. Gently simmer ale in a small pan for 5 minutes, making sure at least 2 tbsp of liquid remains in the pan (top up with water if too much evaporates).
- Stir in cheese, butter, truffle mustard and mix over a low heat until only just melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the egg yolk. Return pan to a low heat and stir for a few of minutes until the mixture starts to thickens and becomes smooth.
- Toast 2 slices of good bread. Pour cheese mixture over the toast on a foil-lined baking tray. Grill for a couple of minutes until golden and bubbling.
© Speciality Cooking Supplies Limited 2022