These lightly spiced nuts are perfect for wintry elevenses. If someone is popping round, you can rustle up a delicious store-cupboard treat with just a few minutes of effort. For a more savoury pre-dinner nut, use half the quantity of sugar and replace with half a teaspoon of salt.
Ingredients Serves: 6
- 70g Christmas spiced sugar
- 300g unsalted nuts (hazelnut, almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachio, cashew)
- 100g dried fruit, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 egg white
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2
- Whisk the egg-white until it starts to foam. Stir in the nuts, dried fruit, and sugar and mix well.
- Spread nut mixture onto a baking sheet. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Stir half way through cooking.
- Leave to cool before serving.
Embrace the Christmas cheer even more, using this traditional festive nutcracker for walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts and more.
After a stage as a chef at a London Michelin-starred restaurant Nicola became obsessed with seeking the best flavours from around the world. She started Sous Chef in 2012, and is always sharing her knowledge of ingredients and writing recipes to showcase those products. Learning from the products, Sous Chef's suppliers and her travels, Nicola has written the majority of the recipes on the Sous Chef website, all of which are big on flavour.