We’ve simplified this recipe to make it really easy to make, even if you find yourself in a kitchen with no measuring equipment. The volume of sweetened condensed milk and desiccated coconut are identical, so you can use the empty condensed milk can to measure out the coconut.
The ghee is optional, but it does give the barfi a slightly softer texture.
Coconut Barfi Ingredients Serves: 6
Coconut Barfi Method
- Pour the condensed milk, coconut, cardamom and salt into a small pan over a medium-high heat and stir continuously with a spatula, scraping the mixture from the base of the pan to prevent it burning.
- Keep stirring for 5 minutes until the mixture starts to look dry, more solid, cleanly comes away from the base of the pan, and when pushed to one side doesn't flow back to cover the base again.
- Beat in the ghee and cashew nuts with your spatula, cooking for a further minute.
- Tip into the baking-parchment lined tray, and press flat with the back of a spoon.
- Decorate with pistachio nuts and silver leaf and leave to cool for an hour. Cut into small cubes.
- Store the barfi in the fridge and take out one hour before serving.