Flavoured with cinnamon, Mexican hot chocolate is made with pucks of sold chocolate, melted into hot milk. The sugar and cinnamon give Mexican hot chocolate a signature graininess. Enjoy with freshly made churros, or simply top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of extra cinnamon to finish.
Ingredients for Mexican hot chocolate
- 48g bar of Mexican Mayan hot chocolate
- 350ml (12oz) milk
How to make Mexican hot chocolate
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk to roughly 60°C – do not let it boil.
- Add the Mexican chocolate bar to the saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until it begins to melt.
- Keep stirring while the whole bar dissolves, taking care not to let the milk boil.
- If you have one, use a wooden molinillo whisk to froth up your hot chocolate, but twisting the long handle between the palms of your hand. A balloon whisk will also produce a nice frothy result.
- Serve in a mug, or in a small bowl that you can cup your hands around.