Nasi Goreng is a popular Indonesian recipe for fried rice which is known for it's caramelised brown rice. Compared to other fried rice recipes, the rice is cooked in a sweet soy sauce or 'kecap manis' which gives the dish it's unique flavour. There are many different variations across Indonesia but this Balinese version was created by our friends at Rempapa.
This recipe was created by our friends at Rempapa.
- 2 banana shallots, sliced
- Oil, for frying
- 3 tablespoons Balinese Spice Tamarind paste
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1-2 red chillies, sliced
- 400g of cooked long grain rice (allowed to cool completely, ideally overnight in the fridge)
- 2 tablespoons of kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ lime
- ½ cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 2 fried eggs
- Your favourite chilli sauce or sambal
- Heat about 3cm of oil in a wok over medium heat. Dab the shallot slices dry and place in the hot oil – they should bubble mildly. Fry for about 8 minutes until they turn golden. Turn the heat off and allow the shallots to continue to sizzle in the residual heat of the boil until they are golden brown. Drain the fried shallots – they crisp up as they cool. Leave about 2 tablespoons of the fragrant shallot oil in the wok, reserving the rest. Place the wok back on the heat
- Over medium heat, gently fry the spice paste, tomato puree, and chillies in oil till fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high. Add the cold cooked rice. Spread the rice out so that everything is heated through, and jab lightly with the edge of your spatula to break up any lumps.
- Drizzle in the kecap manis and soy sauce, along with another tablespoon of the fragrant shallot oil, stirring well to make sure everything is combined. Check for seasoning, adding salt to taste.
- Finish with the spring onions and lime juice, giving everything a final toss. Top with a fried egg each and the reserved crispy fried shallots. Serve with sliced cucumber and an extra dollop of sambal or your favourite chilli sauce.