This recipe may also be known as 'casunziei all’ampezzana', a type of beetroot and poppy seed ravioli commonly eaten in the Dolomites. It has a wonderful earthy yet sweet flavour, that is perfectly balanced by Giuseppe Giusti's Balsamic Vinegar of Modena. And the poppy seeds add just the right amount of crunch to contrast the smooth creamy filling.
This recipe was created by our friends at Giuseppe Giusti.
Ingredients for beetroot and ricotta ravioli
- 200g Potatoes
- 400g Beetroot
- 150g Smoked ricotta
- 300g Flour
- 3 Eggs
- Poppy seeds
- Giusti Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
How to make the ravioli
- Steam the beetroots and potatoes. Mash them and leave to cool. Add the smoked ricotta, Giusti Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, salt and pepper and mix well.
- For the dough, mix the flour and eggs. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Then stretch the dough thin, cut out squares, put a spoonful of filling in the centre and close the ravioli.
- Boil the water. Cook the ravioli for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sauté the ravioli with butter, sage and a spoon of Giusti Balsamic Vinegar of Modena.
- Serve them with some beetroot cream and a sprinkle of poppy seeds.