Valrhona’s passion fruit couverture give these meringue tarts an intense burst of fruity flavour that balances against the creamy milk chocolate mousse. An Italian meringue topping gives an elegant finish to these individual tarts.
Top tip: once the Jivara 40% light mousses have been removed from the moulds, cover them in clear glaze before placing them on the Passion Fruit Inspiration crémeux. This gives them an extra shiny finish and perfect presentation.
This recipe was written by Valrhona.
Ingredients for Almond Shortcrust Pastry Serves: 12
Ingredients for Passion Fruit Crémeux
Ingredients for Jivara 40% Light Mousse
Ingredients for Italian Meringue
- 50g egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 50g water
- 1466mm oblong 6 tartlet silicone mould
Method for the Almond Shortcrust Pastry
- First mix the creamed butter, icing sugar, eggs, 135g flour, ground almonds and fine salt. Be careful not to overmix.
- Once the mixture is well incorporated, add 405g flour. Make sure you don’t knead the dough.
- Once the flour has been added, roll out the dough straight away between two plastic guitar sheets or two sheets of greaseproof paper, and cut it up. Freeze the dough for at least 2 hours before using.
- Line the tart bases and bake at 160°C for approx. 15 minutes.
Method for the Passion Fruit Crémeux
- Mix the purée and glucose and heat them to approx. 80°C. Add the rehydrated gelatine. Gradually combine with the melted couverture.
- Immediately mix using a hand blender to make a perfect emulsion. Add the cold cream, and mix again.
Method for the Jivara 40% Light Mousse
- Heat the milk to 80°C and add the rehydrated gelatine. Slowly combine with the melted Jivara 40% chocolate to obtain a smooth, shiny, elastic texture – this is a sign that you are starting to make an emulsion.
Immediately mix using a hand blender to make a perfect
- Once the mixture is at 35-40°C, combine with the cream which has been whipped until it has the texture of a mousse. Quickly pour the mixture into the oblong silicone moulds and freeze.
Method for Italian Meringue
- Cook the sugar and water at 117-118°C and mix with the beaten whites.
Beat until the mixture cools down and forms soft peaks that
are easy to pipe.
Method to assemble the tarts
- After the tart shells have baked and cooled, make the passion fruit crémeux so that you can pour it straight in, filling them up to the top. Freeze. Then, remove the Jivara 40% light mousses from the moulds and place on top of the frozen passion fruit crémeux.
- Make the Italian meringue. Cut the tip of a piping bag at an angle. Without using a nozzle, unevenly pipe the Italian meringue. Brown the meringue with a small blowtorch.
- Store in the refrigerator for 4 hours before serving.