Recipe by Niki Webster. Rebel Recipes by Niki Webster is out now (Bloomsbury Absolute, RRP £26). Photos: Kris Kirkham.
This dish has everything I want – sweet, sticky and slightly salty miso-roasted aubergine on a bed of creamy coconut rice with crunchy green beans and topped with crushed roasted peanuts and fresh herbs. It’s pretty special. Inspired by Thai and Japanese flavours, it’s a combination that makes a light yet impressive dinner.
Ingredients for miso aubergines Serves: 4
- 2 medium aubergines
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients for the sticky coconut rice
Ingredients for the dressing
Ingredients for the beans
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- a handful of green beans, chopped diagonally
For the toppings
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, lightly crushed
- ¼ cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- a handful of coriander leaves
- a handful of mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion, sliced
Method for miso & maple-glazed aubergines
- For the rice, melt the coconut oil in a large pan over a medium heat, and fry the spring onions until softened. Add the ginger and fry for a further minute. Now add the drained rice, coconut milk and 200ml of water. Season with about ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered, until the liquid is absorbed, then turn off the heat and pop a lid on the rice for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Stir the ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl.
- Preheat two griddle or frying pans. Slice the aubergines in half and score the flesh with a cross-hatch pattern. Add the oil to the pan and place the aubergines, skin side down, for 10 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side for 5 minutes.
- Add the aubergines to a large baking tray, skin side down, and then spread the dressing over the flesh side. Bake for 15 minutes, until the aubergines are sticky and browned.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the green beans and stir-fry for 3 minutes, until tender but still retaining bite. Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon the coconut rice into bowls and top with the green beans, aubergines and all the toppings.