These individual citrus cakes may take a little time to produce, but the end result is a beautiful combination of tangy sponge, a sweet ganache and a rich chocolate glaze. The combination of malty milk chocolate and caramel milk chocolate balances against the burst of citrus.
This recipe was written by Valrhona.
Ingredients for the Citrus Cake Batter
Ingredients for the Citrus Punch
- 135g caster sugar
- 100g water
- 100g lime juice
- 100g orange juice
Ingredients for the Jivara 40% Orange Ganache
Ingredients for the Caramelia 36% Whipped Ganache
Method for the Citrus Cake Batter
- Zest the citrus fruit and mix with the sugar.
- Add the whole eggs without overly beating them, then mix again. Add the salt and cream. Sift the flour together with the baking powder and add to the mix.
- Melt the butter and add to the mixture.
- Using a piping bag, fill the silicone Savarin moulds ¾ full. Place greaseproof paper on top, followed by a baking tray, so that the cakes do not rise too much in the oven.
- Bake in a fan-assisted oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes
Method for the Citrus Punch
- Bring the water and sugar to the boil.
- Add the lime and orange juice
Method for the Jivara 40% Orange Ganache
- Zest the orange and mix with the cream. Heat and leave to infuse, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain. Add the honey and heat again. Gradually combine the mixture with the melted JIVARA 40% chocolate. Mix by hand, then using a hand blender.
- Use immediately.
Method for the Caramelia 36% Whipped Ganache
- Heat the 150g of cream with the honey and glucose if using. Gradually combine with the melted Caramélia 36%. Add the 410g of cold cream. Mix by hand, then using a hand blender.
- Cover the surface with cling film and store in the refrigerator overnight
Method for the Caramelia 36% Glaze
- Melt the Caramélia 36% chocolate at 40°C and add the grape seed oil. Use at approx. 35°C.
Method for assembly of the Citrus Caramélia Cake
- Once cooled, remove the cakes from the moulds and plunge them into the citrus punch for a few moments. Remove from the punch and freeze for 1 hour. Then dip the base in the glaze. Set aside.
- As soon as you have made the JIVARA 40% citrus ganache, pour it into the holes of the cakes. Place in the fridge to set.
- Beat the Caramélia 36% ganache with a whisk. Using a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle, decorate each cake with a pretty ganache star.