What is Uramaki Sushi?
Uramaki sushi is a type of sushi that is wrapped in seaweed, with rice on the outside. It is often called inside-out sushi, because the rice is on the outside and the seaweed is on the inside. It is usually made with fish or vegetables, but can also be made with other ingredients.
What are the ingredients used in making it?
The most common fillings are cucumber, avocado, and crab meat, but there are many other possibilities.
How to make uramaki sushi
Here are some simple step-by-step instructions on how to make uramaki;
- Cook the rice and let it cool before flavouring
- Prepare the fillings of your choice
- Lay out your bamboo rolling mat and place a sheet of nori on top
- Spread the rice over the nori, leaving a 1-inch border. Press down firmly to adhere the rice to the nori
- Flip the nori over so the rice is on the bamboo mat
- Place the fillings in the centre of the nori then roll the sushi up tightly in the mat
- You can now roll the rice in any toppings, like sesame seeds or roe
- Slice into bite-sized pieces and enjoy with soy sauce and wasabi
How do you eat uramaki?
Uramaki sushi is usually eaten with your hands, however, there are two different ways you can dip your uramaki in soy sauce. The first way is to pick it up and dip it in soy sauce before eating it. The second way is to pour a small amount of soy sauce onto your plate, and then dip the sushi into the soy sauce before eating it. Whichever way you choose, make sure to eat the sushi within a few seconds of dipping it in soy sauce, as otherwise the rice will start to absorb too much of the soy sauce and become too salty.
What does uramaki mean?
'Ura' means back, inside or behind and maki means roll - hence you will sometimes hear uramaki called 'inside out rolls'
What is the difference between futomaki and uramaki?
Futomaki is a type of maki roll that is made by rolling the seaweed on the outside of the rice and fillings. It is one of the most common types of sushi, you can learn more about it in our guide to maki. Uramaki is different because the seaweed sheet or nori is rolled on the inside between the rice and fillings.
What's the difference between uramaki and hosomaki?
Hosomaki is a type of maki roll that is made in a similar way to futomaki. The one key difference is that hosomaki is rolled on a half-sheet of nori so the final pieces are much smaller and more bite-sized. Again uramaki is different because the nori is rolled on the inside of the roll.