Upgrade this classic French dessert with a pinch of Voatsiperifery pepper which adds a fragrant floral undertone to each bite. The sweet almond filling pairs perfectly with the tart flavours of the apricot jam and ripe pears. Not to mention, its irresistible aroma which will have your stomach grumbling before the tart even leaves the oven.
Tin size: 23cm in diameter, 3cm deep
For the Pastry
- 250g plain flour
- 50g icing sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 large egg
- Splash of milk
For the Filling
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g ground walnuts
- 3 medium eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of Voatsiperifery Pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ripe pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
How to Make the Pastry
- Sift together the flour and icing sugar, then add the butter and rub between your fingers or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Beat the egg with a splash of milk and the vanilla. Add to the flour and butter mixture and mix gently to form a rough ball. Adding a little more milk if necessary. Tip the mixture onto a floured surface and gently knead into a smooth ball. Do not over work the dough at this stage.
- Refrigerate the pastry for at least 30 mins.
- Cut slices of the dough about the thickness of a coin and press into the base and sides of the tin until the whole tin is lined. Trim away any excess.
- Prick the base of the tart line with parchment paper and baking beans and bake in oven for 10 mins at 180°C.
How to Make the Filling
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Roll out pastry case, line tin, and keep in fridge whilst you prepare the frangipane filling.
- To make the frangipane filling, beat together butter and sugar in a mixer, until pale and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, beating until well combined. Gently stir in the ground walnuts, lemon zest and salt.
- Spread the filling in the pastry case. Lay over the sliced pears.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until well browned on the surface. Brush with apricot jam or glaze and leave to cool.