These appear on the menu at Jikoni as soon as the Jersey Royal season kicks in. They are our version of patatas bravas, via Korea. Instead of salsa you have kimchi, there’s Japanese mayonnaise rather than allioli – and it’s finished off with crunchy peanuts, spring onions, sesame seeds and shards of prawn cracker. It all adds up to a lively little dish that’s feistier than the standard patatas bravas.
This recipe is extracted from Jikoni by Ravinder Bhogal (£26, Bloomsbury)
Ingredients for kimchi royals Serves: 4
Ingredients to serve
Method for kimchi royals
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain well.
- In a frying pan melt the butter with the sesame oil over medium heat. Place the potatoes, cut side down, in the hot fat and cook on this side only until crisp and brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, stir together the kimchi, tamarind concentrate, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Arrange the potatoes on a platter, cut side up. Top with the kimchi mixture, then drizzle over the mayonnaise.
- Scatter over the peanuts, sesame seeds, spring onions, coriander leaves and shards of prawn cracker.