Zuppa di cicerchie is a traditional hearty Italian soup made from cicerchie peas. Cicerchie - or cicerchia - is a type of pea. It translates as chickling or 'fava chickpeas' in English and has been cultivated in Italy since the days of the Romans. It tastes like a blend of chickpeas and peas, but with a creamier texture when cooked. Combined with the soup's rich tomato base, it's perfect as a comforting winter meal.
Ingredients for cicerchie soup Serves: 6
- 2 slices sourdough bread, cut into chunks (stale is fine)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Chopped parsley
- Place the beans in a pan with 1 litre of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for another 40 mins, until the beans are tender. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, make your croutons. Toss the bread in 1 tbsp olive oil and fry over a medium-high heat, or bake in a hot oven for 5 mins or until crunchy. Sprinkle with salt.
- Divide the soup amongst 6 bowls. Garnish with croutons, a drizzle of olive oil and parsley.
If you liked this recipe, why not try Zuppa di Farro, another Italian soup made with Casale le Marmore beans