The grassy green dragon chilli perfectly complements the lemon & lime in this classic cocktail. The amarena syrup balances the green dragon’s lingering chilli heat with its warming almond notes and – of course – a lovely pinkish hue. The syrup should be made the day before you want to serve the cocktail.
Once it has been made, you can be creative with it in any other cocktail. The syrup will keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
If you're vegan you'll use chickpea water instead of egg white.
Ingredients For the Green Dragon Simple Syrup
- 3g green dragon chillies
- 200ml water
- 200g caster sugar
Ingredients For the Cocktail
- 1 egg white (30-35g) or 2 tbsp of the water from a can of unsalted chickpeas for the vegan version
- The juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime (40g in total)
- 90g bourbon
- 10g syrup from a jar of Amarena cherries
- 40g green dragon sugar syrup
- An amarena cherry
Making the Syrup
- Break green dragon chillies into halves and drop them, along with the seeds, into a small saucepan.
- Pour in water and bring to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and add caster sugar. Stir until dissolved and pour into a sterilised container to store in the fridge.
- Leave to infuse for 24 hours. Over time the syrup will taste spicier – just strain out the chillies when it reaches the level you want.
- A 24-hour infusion is perfect for the cocktail below.
Method for the Cocktail
- Whisk egg white (or water from unsalted cheakpeas if vegan) in a medium sized bowl for 20-30 seconds until frothy, but not stiff.
- Measure in the juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime, bourbon, syrup from a jar of Amarena cherries (we like Fabbri) and green dragon sugar syrup poured in through a sieve.
- Add a couple of ice cubes and stir gently until chilled. Strain and divide between two glasses.
- Drop an amarena cherry into each glass.