5 Day Meal Plan
Day 1: Tofu mushroom burger
If you are unsure about vegetarian burgers, this burger will change your mind. It is the ultimate comfort food, and great served with a dollop of sriracha or punchy vegan kimchi.
This dish is all make in one roasting tin, so it is perfect if you are not a fan of washing up. The aubergines are first steamed before then stirring in a delicious red pepper and sesame dressing. Served with rice and Chinese cabbage it is a really filling meal.
If you love noodles but haven't tried Japchae yet then you're in for a treat! Made with sweet potato vermicelli, Japchae is a well-known Korean noodle dish. It can be made with almost any vegetables and takes only 10 minutes to whip up. Perfect for a week-night meal.
Day 4: Kung Po Tofu
A classic tofu dish, kung po tofu is great if you like spicy-sweet flavours. It contains Sichuan peppercorns to add to it's heat, which creates a pleasant numbing sensation without overpowering the other flavours. Serve with rice and chopped cashews.
This dish can be made with wood ear fungus or cloud ear fungus, repurposing whichever you choose to buy for the Japchae dish. It is a great side dish and could be served with any of the other dishes listed below - which all use ingredients from this shopping list.
- Fish Fragrant Aubergine Recipe - don't be put off by the name. Fish fragrant aubergine is still vegan! And actually doesn't contain or taste like fish. It's name refers to a once traditional seasoning for fish dishes in Sichuan, China.
- Brocolli namul - a simple side dish made with broccoli, soy sauce, sesa,e oil and gochugaru flakes
- Quick cucumber kimchi - if you have any cucumber and vegetarian fish sauce knocking around, you can easily make this quick kimchi with your gochugaru flakes. Ready just 3-4 hours after making it!
Your Shopping List
With a mixture of some store cupboard staples, our top 10 ingredients and a couple of fresh veg you will be on your way to a week of delicious meals in no time.
- Chinese Cabbage
Store cupboard staples:
- Sesame oil
- Chilli Flakes
- Flaky salt
- Soy sauce
- (optional) Sesame seeds
Top 8 Key Ingredients:
- Silken Tofu
- Chinkiang Black Rice Vinegar 550ml
- Black Fungus - Wood Ear 100g
- Sichuan peppercorns
- Sichuan Long Dried Chilli 200g
- Sweet Potato Vermicelli 400g
- Korean Red Pepper Powder - Gochugaru
- (optional) Sichuan Pixian Chilli Bean Paste - No MSG
You will need 2 x blocks, used in both the tofu burger and kung po tofu recipes.
The black rice vinegar is to be used in the kung po tofu, Korean-style aubergines, wood ear fungus salad and fish fragrant aubergine recipe.
The wood ear mushroom can be used in both the Japchae recipe and the wood ear fungus salad.
The sichuan peppercorns are used in the Kung Po Tofu recipe. You could also use them to make Aloo Bodi Tama. Or if you choose to make the fish fragrant aubergine, you can use it with the Sichuan Chilli Bean paste to make Fuschia Dunlop's Dry-fried 'Eels' (shiitake mushrooms).
The long dried chillies are used in the Kung Po Tofu recipe.
The sweet potato vermicelli is used in the Japchae recipe.
The gochugaru flakes are used in both the Japchae and the Korean-style aubergine recipe. They can also be used to make a wide range of stir-fried side dishes, with your choice of vegetables. Or you could use the remaining flakes to make your own vegan kimchi.