Chipotle chilli and lime fudge is one of those twists on a classic recipe that makes perfect sense when you taste it. And in fact may make you ask why fudge isn't always flavoured like this.
The zesty lime cuts through the richness of classic double cream fudge, whilst the smoky warmth from chipotle chilli powder gives a moreish kick at the back of the throat. And the salt... well all desserts are improved with a little pinch of salt!
Chipotle Chilli & Lime Fudge Ingredients Serves: 15
Chipotle Chilli & Lime Fudge Method
- Line a 20cm x 20cm roasting tin or dish with baking parchment.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat together the golden caster sugar, double cream, unsalted butter, golden syrup and fine salt, stirring continually. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Remove from the heat when the mixture reaches 116°C. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. When the fudge has cooled to 110°C, transfer to a bowl or stand mixer and add the lime zest chipotle chilli powder.
- Beat the mixture vigorously until it cools to around 60°C. This will help produce a smooth, creamy fudge.
- Pour into the tin and leave to set at room temperature for at least 3 hours and ideally overnight. Don’t refrigerate as this may cause the sugar to crystallise.
After a stage as a chef at a London Michelin-starred restaurant Nicola became obsessed with seeking the best flavours from around the world. She started Sous Chef in 2012, and is always sharing her knowledge of ingredients and writing recipes to showcase those products. Learning from the products, Sous Chef's suppliers and her travels, Nicola has written the majority of the recipes on the Sous Chef website, all of which are big on flavour.