Macaroni cheese is a classic comfort food, and a smooth, glossy cheese sauce is key to making an excellent version. We’ve given this crowdpleasing bake a truffle twist by adding black truffle oil and black summer truffle slices. A cheesy breadcrumb topping gives extra crunch, which when grilled turns golden and bubbling.
Serves 2 as a main, or 4 as a side.
Ingredients for truffled macaroni cheese Serves: 2
Method for truffled macaroni cheese
- Preheat the grill.
- Boil the pasta in salty water according to the packet’s instructions, or until al dente.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat and add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook the flour out for a good couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the milk in a separate saucepan. Gradually ladle in the hot milk, stirring until the roux has been absorbed between each addition. Once all the milk has been added, increase the heat and continue to stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Reduce the heat once more and stir in the Dijon, salt and pepper. Stir in the cheddar, holding a little back for the topping, until melted and taste for seasoning, adding more if needed.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in 1 tbsp truffle oil and the truffle slices.
- Drain the pasta and stir it into the truffled cheese sauce.
- Spoon the macaroni cheese into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the remaining cheddar, parmesan and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the top of the pasta. Pop the macaroni cheese under the grill until the top is golden and crisp.
- Drizzle over the remaining 1 tbsp truffle oil and serve immediately.