Why is cast iron good for cooking?
Cast iron pans are the choice of many chefs, due to their fantastic heat retention properties, heavy-duty pan bases and even heat distribution. A good cast iron pan should last a lifetime, or even longer. Look after your pans with our guide to seasoning and cleaning cast iron.
How to clean a cast iron pan
For everyday cleaning after cooking:
- Wash your pans in warm water without any detergent.
- Avoid putting your cast iron in the dishwasher.
- Make sure the pan is completely dry after washing.
If food is burnt on to the pan you can use wire wool to scrub it off, and then season the pan to repair the surface.
For more occasional, thorough cleaning:
- Cover the base of the pan with a layer of coarse salt and a little water.
- Heat the pan at a high temperature for 1-2 minutes until all the water has evaporated.
- Rinse away the salt and wipe the pan with paper.
- The product will now have a grey tint, which means it is ready to be seasoned again.
How to season cast iron
‘Seasoning’ means adding a protective layer to the pan, which helps to form a non-stick surface and protect your pan from rusting. A seasoned cast iron pan should look black.To season the pan:
- Add a thin layer of canola oil to the dry pan.
- After adding oil, heat the pan to a high temperature, either on the stove or in the oven, depending on the handle. A wooden handle cannot be put in the oven.
- After about 10-15 minutes when the oil has stopped smoking, the product is seasoned, black and ready for use.
What is the best oil to season cast iron pans?
All of Skeppshult’s products intended for cooking are seasoned with canola oil from Österlen. This process gives the products their black color and a natural non-stick protection, without using any unpleasant plastic gasses that can be found in some other non-stick coated pans.
What shouldn’t you cook in cast iron?
Some acidic food can damage the cast iron patina, such as very sharp tomato sauces or dishes with a lot of wine in. However, you can re season your pan to prevent any long term damage. You may find that some very delicate dishes stick to cast iron, before it develops its non-stick quality – such as fish or gyoza dumplings.
Can products from Skeppshult be used right away or to they need to be pre-treated?
All products from Skeppshult are ready for immediate use. No pre-treatment is necessary. You might want to give your pan a quick rinse in hot water to get rid of possible dust.
Can Skeppshult’s products be used on induction cooktops?
Yes, Skeppshult’s cast iron products are well suited for induction stoves. Induction hobs work by magnetism, which heats up any magnetic substance, such as iron or stainless steel, that is placed on the hob. Skeppshult’s cast iron pans have thick and solid iron bottoms which are superior to thinner pans that cannot take up and distribute heat as well.