Squid ink pasta is an traditional Italian dish, which makes a quick and easy mid-week supper. The black colour can be a little off-putting if you're not familiar with squid ink's natural black briny sheen, though rest assured it is delicious. We've paired it with fusilli lunghi bucati pasta which consists of long, tightly wound twists of artisan durum wheat semolina pasta.
Uncooked the pasta looks like goldilocks' curls, but once coated in squid ink sauce it makes the perfect Halloween dish - transformed into a gory plate of 'intestines'....
Ingredients Serves: 2
- Heat a large pan with boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cook the pasta for 12 minutes until 'al dente.'
- Meanwhile prepare the squid ink sauce, heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until softened but not browned.
- Add a splash of white wine and the chopped tomatoes to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until the tomato has softened.
- Add the squid ink and vegetable stock and reduce for 5 minutes on a slow simmer.
- Drain the pasta and toss through the squid ink sauce. Serve immediately.
Go one step further and buy some Italian 00 flour to make your own pasta.