The De Buyer Prima Matera conical copper saute pan is essential for cooks who make lots of sauces, gravies and jus. The shape of the pan allows for fast, efficient reduction of sauces. The small base heats up quickly, and the sides flare out to a wide mouth that provides a large surface area for evaporation. The pan works on all hobs including induction.
Conical saute pans are also popular for anything that might need a lot of stirring - making custards, risottos, even fudge! That's because the gently curved sides mean it's easy to move food away from corners during cooking. Several chefs have told us this is their favourite pan.
Not only does copper look beautiful, but it is also fantastic to cook with:
- The tremendous heat conduction qualities of copper mean the pan responds almost instantly to changes in temperature. This gives great control.
- The thick base means there is extremely even heating, with no hot spots. Incredible for making caramel.
- Similarly, when it gets hot, it will stay hot! Making it brilliant for searing steaks.
These really are the pans of a lifetime. This is why we think the De Buyer Prima Matera pans are particularly special:
- No more re-tinning! Traditionally copper pans are lined with tin which wears away over time, so you would need to send your pan away to be 're-tinned'. Instead, De Buyer use a very thin coating of stainless steel which is durable, will last, and is easy to clean.
- 90% copper outside / 10% stainless steel lining - you can see the quality in the close-up image of the pan rim. The pans are a glorious 2mm thick.
- Riveted cast iron handles that guarantee durability, but also keep cooler than other metal handle materials when cooking on the hob.
Oven safe - sear food on the hob to caramelise the surface, and move to the oven to gently cook through.
Works on induction - copper doesn't usually work on induction hobs. And so De Buyer have included a thin stainless steel plate at the base to give it great induction performance. And because copper pans are an investment, if you think you might change to induction in the future it's worth buying induction-compatible pans.
Using your pans
- Before using your cookware for the first time, wash it with hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly and dry.
- Suitable for use on any cooking surface or in a conventional oven.
- Choose the cooktop range that best matches the diameter of the base of the cookware.
- Recommendations for preserving the durability of your cookware with induction: gradually increase the temperature, avoid using the booster function, do not overheat when empty
- Always handle with care after long cooking times or use in the oven as the handles and copper will be very hot.
- Over time, the outside of your copper pan will change color due to oxidation. To restore its original sheen, use a special copper polishing paste, or even mild vinegar or lemon juice to remove stains. Never use a rough sponge on your copper pan.
- Wash the stainless-steel interior with a sponge and hot soapy water.
- After washing, dry straight away with a tea towel - this keeps them in best condition, and the copper shinier for longer.
Notes on Copper Cookware
Copper is a soft metal, and so can scratch easily. The bases of all pans & bowls may already have slight marks from the final polishing process. To keep the pan in top condition, try not to drag the pan across surfaces (e.g. from one part of the hob to another). To avoid warping, do not plunge a hot pan into cold water or vice versa. Do not leave a copper pan unattended on a hot cooker for long periods of time - this can also cause warping.
Our products are provided with a 2 year guarantee against any manufacturing defects and under normal conditions of use. Guarantee does not apply to damaged products used or stored under adverse conditions.
|£4.50 or FREE for orders over £60
|DPD Express ?
|£7 or FREE for orders over £100
|DPD Signature Required ?
|£7 or FREE for orders over £60
|DPD Saturday or Sunday ?
|£9 or FREE for orders over £150
These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Sous Chef website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change.