In Turkey there is a class of salads known as zeytinyagli ‘with olive oil’, where the vegetables are stewed in olive oil and served cold. You can use Aleppo or isot pepper in this dish, but we’ve chosen isot for its deeper warmth. It is excellent as a cold side with roast or barbecued meat and rice. Runner beans are easily bought pre-sliced if you prefer.
Ingredients Serves: 6
- In a blender, purée chopped onions with 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Warm another 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium to high heat and fry the onion mixture stirring regularly for 10 minutes without it letting it brown.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the isot chilli flakes and ½ tsp fine salt. Stir intermittently for a few more minutes.
- Pour passata and water into the pan and add sliced runner beans, pressing down so all the beans are submerged. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a lively simmer and reduce for 30 minutes, stirring regularly. The beans will be cooked through and soft, and the sauce will become rich and thick.
- Stir in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and leave to cool.
- Serve at room temperature.
© Speciality Cooking Supplies Limited 2020