Information for International Suppliers
Information to display on labels or packaging (Always refer to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/food-labelling-giving-food-information-to-consumers for the latest information)
You must display the following information (mandatory information) on the product packaging or on a label attached to the packaging:
- the name of the food
- the quantitative ingredients declaration (QUID), where needed
- a list of ingredients (including allergens)
- the weight or volume of the food (net quantity)
- a ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ date
- the name and address of the food business operator (FBO) responsible for the food information
- the alcoholic strength by volume (as a percentage) on drinks containing over 1.2% alcohol by volume.
While most of the food labelling remains unchanged - a key change from 1st October of 2022 is related to the name and address of the Food Business Operator (FBO) and is as follows:
Show the name and address of the food business operator
You must include a business name and address on the packaging or food label of pre-packed food products. This must be either:
- the name of the business whose name the food is marketed under
- the address of the business that has imported the food
Pre-packaged food or caseins sold in NI (Northern Ireland) must include a NI or EU FBO address. If the FBO is not in NI or EU, include the address of your importer, based in NI or the EU.
You can continue to use an EU, GB or NI address for the FBO on pre-packaged food or caseins sold in GB until 30 September 2022.
From 1 October 2022, pre-packaged food or caseins sold in GB must include a UK address for the FBO. If the FBO is not in the UK, include the address of your importer, based in the UK. The address needs to be a physical address where your business can be contacted by mail. You cannot use an email address or phone number.
For food exported to the UK exclusively for Sous Chef (if you don’t have an importer based in the UK) please ensure you include the following address on your labels:
UK: Sous Chef, Access Self Storage, 15 Tottenham Lane, London N8 9DJ.
Please review your current labels for the next orders to ensure compliance.
Please let us know if you have any issues to be compliant with these requirements.
Many thanks, Kind regards
Technical Manager, Sous Chef UK.