Shirataki noodles or ‘miracle noodles’ as they are often known, are famous in the UK for having close to no calories. Yet in Japan they are a common ingredient in donabe dishes, and in China in hot pots – prized for their texture. This shirataki noodle recipe is inspired by the flavours of Chinese chicken noodle soup – umami undertones from the shiitake mushrooms, complex, smoky, slightly acidic notes from the Chinkiang rice vinegar and a spicy zing from the chilli and ginger.
Meanwhile bamboo shoots and bok choi add texture and help to make the meal more substantial whilst still very low in calories – only 190 calories per serving.
The soup is presented in our beautiful new Arashi-Kumo Ramen Bowls
Chinese Chicken Shirataki Noodle Recipe
Serves 2, 190 calories per serving
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
1.5 tsp chicken stock powder (we recommend Essential Cuisine)
30g dried shiitake mushrooms
3cm piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, 1/2 finely chopped, 1/2 sliced to garnish
100g chicken breast, sliced
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp Chinkiang rice vinegar
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
360g shirataki noodles (2 packets) drained and rinsed
100g bamboo shoots
1 bulb bok choi or 100g spinach (1 bulb)
- In a medium-sized bowl add the stock powder to 700ml hot water.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and leave them to rehydrate for 10 minutes whilst you chop the ginger, garlic, red chilli and slice the chicken.
- Strain the mushrooms, reserving the stock for later, and chop into quarters. Save one whole shiitake mushroom per person for decoration.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wok on a medium heat. Fry the ginger, garlic and 1/2 red chilli for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir fry until the chicken is just cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the reserved stock, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, shirataki noodles and bamboo shoots. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the bok choi leaves and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and heat through for 2 minutes.
- Divide between two bowls and serve garnished with slices of red chilli.