Dolsot bibimbap is a Korean rice dish, served in a stove-hot stone bowl – the ‘dolsot’. The bowl is gently heated on the stove or in the oven, before adding a heap of cooked short-grain rice, and a number of carefully presented vegetables. This is then topped with a raw egg, and a little chilli paste, stirred through quickly at the table.
Almost any leftovers can be used to top the dish, making it even quicker to put together. For a meatier version, top with marinaded bulgogi beef or tofu. The quantities below are for one portion, however the recipe is easy to scale up.
Recipe: Dolsot bibimbap
1 portion white rice
1 tbsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
In addition, choose a few – or all – of the following toppings:
- 1 dried shitake mushroom, soaked in warm water overnight, sliced finely, and stir-fried with a dash of light soy or Japanese soy sauce
- 1/4 carrot cut into matchsticks, stir fried for a few minutes, seasoned with a little light soy
- 1/4 courgette cut into matchsticks, stir fried for a few minutes, seasoned with a little light soy
- Handful of bean-sprouts, stir fried for a few minutes until softened, and toss with sesame oil
- 1/8 cucumber cut into matchsticks, sprinkled with salt and left for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry before using
- Handful of spinach, wilted in a pan, and tossed with sesame seeds and a little sesame oil
- Pine nuts, toasted
Dolsot stone bowl
1. Place stone bowls into a cold oven, and heat to 200C
2. Put the rice on to cook according to instructions on the pack.
3. Prepare the vegetables, and cook each individually. Place into small dishes separately, and set aside.
5. Take bowl out of oven, and set over a low heat on the hob.
6. Pour in a little sesame oil, and use oven gloves to move about until coated.
7. Add the rice, and let is sit on the hob for a good five minutes – you’ll hear the rice crackling.
8. While the rice is crisping, warm the toppings in a pan if needed, and arrange over the top, in a circle. Include a spoon of the red bean paste. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
9. Crack egg into the centre, and move to a heat proof mat to serve.
10. At the table mix rapidly and eat.