This set of maverick flavours is the perfect present for adventurous bakers and pastry chefs. If you’re worried that a pot of jam or bottle of oil won’t cut it, then this combination of fruits, pepper, sugar and spice has plenty to excite them and get their creative juices flowing. Also available are the Maverick Flavour Hamper and the Maverick Flavour Selection: Savoury.
The kit is packaged in a smart black presentation tube and includes:
- Grains of paradise: an African pepper which has extraordinary coconut aromas, with coconut-cardamom notes and a distinctive, blossomy sweetness. The pepper peaked in popularity during the Middle Ages, and is making a tentative comeback in kitchens around Europe. Use as a crust for tuna steaks, but also to flavour homemade gin (it is a botanical in Blue Sapphire gin), and use in desserts for its coconut aromas.
- Pure strawberry powder: a great addition to sorbets, macarons, and buttercream icing. Try making strawberry macarons with a white chocolate and basil filling, and top with a sprig of holly. Or even use to flavour a dark chocolate truffle ganache, and dust over the top.
- Natural passion fruit powder: 100% natural, with a tart sweetness. Use the passion fruit powder to flavour custards for a set passion fruit tart, or dissolve in water to make a coulis, or use to dust home made chocolates. Add some natural passion fruit powder to meringue before baking to create a swirl effect.
- Cocoa nibs:Cocoa nibs are roasted cocoa beans, which have been separated from their husks and broken into small chips. Although they are the essence of chocolate, they taste very bitter in this pure form, and can be best when paired with sweet flavours. Try adding the cocoa nibs into shortbread recipes, stir into ice cream or add to fruit granola. Alternatively use in the filling for chocolate truffles.
- Crystallised violet petal pieces: Crystallised violet petals are the perfect finishing touch to stunning British baking. The intense violet scent conjures up images of days gone by, with afternoon teas, and dainty violet cream chocolates. The crystallised petals can be nibbled on as they are, added to cocktails or used to decorate cakes. Try dotting an individual petal on top of a dark chocolate for a dainty finish.
Please note the Maverick Flavour Selection is now shipping with cocoa nibs in place of the pearl sugar photographed.