This set of maverick flavours is the perfect present for adventurous cooks and chefs. If you’re worried that a pot of chutney or bottle of oil won’t cut it, then this combination of chillies, peppers and salts is plenty to excite them and get their creative juices flowing. Also available are the Maverick Flavour Hamper and the Maverick Flavour Selection: Sweet.
- Java long pepper: a potent pepper, with with strong eucalyptus flavours in the mouth – favoured with red meat in particular, and holds its own strongly-flavoured dishes like a curry or a tagine. It is also used in some Indian garam masala mixes for the intensity of flavour; and conversely often the pepper of choice in sweet recipes, for poaching pears or even making ‘long pepper cream’.
- Naga bhut jolokia chilli powder: Also known as the ghost chilli, it’s one of the most fearsomely hot chillies in the world. It’s so potent, that in India they use naga chilli powder as tear gas! However, when used in moderation it makes some deliciously hot curries. Add the smallest dash to curry sauces, use in fiery homemade garam masalas and hot tomato salsas.
- Espelette pepper: grown in Espelette in South West France, just over the border from San Sebastián, the pepper has been awarded a Designation of Origin (DOP). Espelette pepper is used as part of the curing process for Bayonne hams, as well as spicing honey or bread, and the starring ingredient in traditional Basque dishes – such as pipérade fish stew.
- Black lava sea salt: follows the Hawaiian tradition of blending activated charcoal with seawater to make salt with a glistening black shine, renowned for its oceanic, mineral flavour. Sprinkle over fish, or bread dough - as an alternative to sesame seeds for a dramatic garnish with a salty crunch.
- Salish smoked salt: the salt follows the centuries-old Salish American Indian practice of smoking salt over red alder branches, in Washington USA. Bring smoky campfire flavours to scrambled eggs or fish; use to dip quails' eggs in, or sprinkle over chicken or ribs before roasting.
- Tasting Notes & Sous Chef Gift Tube
Please note the Maverick Flavour Selection is now shipping with naga bhut jolokia chilli powder in place of the habanero chilli powder photographed.
|Standard UK Delivery ?||£3.50 or free when you spend £35|
|Express Delivery ?||£6.95 or free when you spend £75|
|Next day by 12pm ?||£9.95|