Jackfruit is the perfect filling for vegan tacos - the 'meaty' texture works really well with creamy guacamole. It's seasoned here with paprika and chilli for a smoky kick, and brought together with tomato sauce, flavoured with soy and apple cider vinegar.
Serve in freshly toasted tortillas, and a handful of shredded lettuce.
This recipe was originally written by our friends at Flying Goose Sriracha.
- 400g jackfruit, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Corn tortillas
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Sriracha Mayo
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the smoked paprika, chilli powder and ground cumin, stirring for about a minute or so.
- Add the tomato puree and stir to combine, then throw in the jackfruit along with the soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. Stir continuously until the jackfruit is coated, adding a splash of water if the mixture is too thick.
- Simmer for around 10 minutes before removing from the heat.
- For a quick guacamole, mash the avocado with a fork before adding the lime juice and salt.
- Time to assemble! Grab a few tortillas and pile them up with the tasty jackfruit filling. Top with guacamole, a sprinkle of coriander and a generous drizzle of Sriracha Mayo.