The pavlova always shouts 'summer' and this pavlova bursting with ripe strawberries is no exception. Yet the passion berry pepper brings more complexity, with its pepper-like spice and passionfruit notes. It both accentuates the strawberry flavours but also cuts through the sweetness. Passion berry pepper will become a summer storecupboard staple and you'll bring the pavlova into regular feasting rotation.
Ingredients Serves: 6
- 4 large egg whites
- 200g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 300g strawberries
- 2 tsp Sous Chef Passion Berry Pepper
- 300ml double cream
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140° (120° fan) gas mark 1. Line a wide baking sheet with greaseproof paper and draw a 18cm circle onto it (you can use the base of a cake tin). Using a hand held electric mixer or a freestanding mixer, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks then gradually add the caster sugar until it is thick and glossy. Mix through the cornflour, vanilla and lemon and pile onto the disc on the baking sheet. Make a shallow dip with the back of a spoon to fill with the cream and fruit.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until firm to the touch then turn the oven off and leave to cool inside the oven for a further hour without opening the oven door (this could make the pavlova collapse). Meanwhile, toast the passion berries in a small pan until fragrant then crush in a pestle and mortar. Quarter the strawberries and mix with the 2tbsp caster sugar and the crushed passion berries and leave to macerate.
- Once the pavlova has cooled completely, whip the cream with the icing sugar until it holds soft peaks and pile this into the middle of the pavlova. Top with the macerated strawberries and serve immediately.
After a stage as a chef at a London Michelin-starred restaurant Nicola became obsessed with seeking the best flavours from around the world. She started Sous Chef in 2012, and is always sharing her knowledge of ingredients and writing recipes to showcase those products. Learning from the products, Sous Chef's suppliers and her travels, Nicola has written the majority of the recipes on the Sous Chef website, all of which are big on flavour.