Perfect for salted caramel lovers, these profiteroles are great for a party.
For the profiterole Serves: 20
- 50g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
For the salted caramel filling
- 250g caster sugar
- 75ml double cream
- 50g unsalted butter
- Large pinch of himalayan pink salt, crushed, plus extra to top with
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan. Line two flat baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the butter with 200ml water in a medium saucepan until melted then turn the heat up until it is boiling.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the flour and continue mixing until it comes away from the edges.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and leave to cool until just warm then gradually beat in the egg with a hand held electric mixer until you have a stiff glossy mixture (you might not need all the egg).
- Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the baking sheets well spaced apart, using a wet finger to smooth any peaks.
- Bake for 20 minutes then poke a hole in the side of each using a metal skewer then return to the oven for 5 minutes until the middle has dried out.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the salted caramel, heat the sugar with 3 tbsp water in a small pan over a low heat for 8 minutes, until dissolved.
- Turn the heat up and cook for 5 minutes further, until caramel in colour then remove from the heat and add the cream, butter and salt and simmer for a further 1 minute before setting aside to cool.
- To assemble, transfer the caramel to a piping bag, snip a small hole in the end and pipe into the hole of each profiterole.
- Dip into the melted chocolate and sprinkle over some of the salt. Leave the chocolate to set up slightly before serving.
© Speciality Cooking Supplies Limited 2019