Kachumbar salad is a great accompaniment to curries. The fresh zingy lemon-onion-chilli flavours are the perfect foil to hot, rich curry sauces. You can add other chopped vegetables like fennel and radish, and increase quantities of chilli to taste – perhaps even leaving it out if you’re pairing the salad with a particularly fiery curry.
We've used nigella seeds here, which aren't traditional, but add a lovely colour contrast and extra dimension of flavour.
Ingredients Serves: 4
- 1 cucumber, sliced in half lengthways, core removed
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, core removed
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt (less if using fine sea salt)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cut the cucumber, tomatoes and red pepper into 1cm dice.
- Add the onion, chilli, nigella seeds, coriander leaves, salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix well.