Kachumbar salad is a great accompaniment to curries. The fresh zingy lemon-onion-chilli flavours are the perfect foil to hot, rich curry sauces. You can add other chopped vegetables like fennel and radish, and increase quantities of chilli to taste – perhaps even leaving it out if you’re pairing the salad with a particularly fiery curry.
We've used nigella seeds here, which aren't traditional, but add a lovely colour contrast and extra dimension of flavour.
Ingredients Serves: 4
- 1 cucumber, sliced in half lengthways, core removed
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, core removed
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt (less if using fine sea salt)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cut the cucumber, tomatoes and red pepper into 1cm dice.
- Add the onion, chilli, nigella seeds, coriander leaves, salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix well.
After a stage as a chef at a London Michelin-starred restaurant Nicola became obsessed with seeking the best flavours from around the world. She started Sous Chef in 2012, and is always sharing her knowledge of ingredients and writing recipes to showcase those products. Learning from the products, Sous Chef's suppliers and her travels, Nicola has written the majority of the recipes on the Sous Chef website, all of which are big on flavour.