Who is Thuros?
Thuros is a second generation family business based in Germany who provide durable products for the ultimate barbecue experience. The joy of a Thuros product is that you can add extra modules depending on how you like to cook, and how much space you have. All the cooking grates are rustproof, and every grill body - along with its stainless steel attachments - comes with a manufacturer's 25-year quality guarantee.
What is a modular BBQ?
A modular BBQ is one that can be built on. Once you have the basic grill, you can buy extra accessories to up your grilling game, be it wind deflectors, smokers or rotisserie spits. This means Thuros BBQs are suitable for everyone, whether you have a tiny outdoor table or spacious garden.
How are Thuros BBQs different?
Thuros has a number of BBQ families with a range of products available in, and each family is designed for a different space.
- Thuros T1 tabletop is compact and can be used for grilling at the table, so perfect if you have a smaller space. It’s easy-to-store, and portable, too.
- The Thuros Baikal is a standalone shashlik grill, great for cooking juicy kebabs and skewers.
The final family is the S1 tabletop smoker - a miniature stainless steel hot and cold smoker which makes smoking at home easy and achievable! Complete with 2 cooking grates, a tray for smoking dust, a fire drawer and a thermometer (so you can check the temperature throughout cooking), it can even cook low and n slow! If you want to add a smoky kick to cheese or cured salmon - you can use with the ProQ Cold smoker generator, for cold smoking. The cold smoke generator sits inside the S1 tabletop smoker, and, over the course of ten hours, releases a steady stream of smoke to gently infuse food with flavour.
What can the Thuros T1 tabletop do and what accessories can you add?
Thuros T1 tabletop BBQ is compact and ideal for at-home grilling or an on-the-go picnic. Four corner protectors give it stability meaning it can sit on any surface, and the bottom grill has been designed to prevent too much heat building underneath.
- Made of aluminium stainless steel, with a cooking grate made of food-safe stainless steel
- The BBQ measures 22cm in height, with a cooking area of 30cm x 30cm - perfect for 2 people, or two burgers and a couple of corn on the cob at once
- Two side slits ensure enough air intake for lighting up the charcoal (and keeping it hot when in use)
Although a Thuros T1 tabletop BBQ grill is nifty in size, lots of people like to add a couple of extra modules to build it up and make the BBQ more versatile. Here are the accessories you can buy:
- A wind deflector protects the grill from stronger weather, while two slots on the side mean the grill height can be adjusted depending on how close you want the food to be to the coals (juicy burgers need a higher heat compared to sizzling sardines)
- A BBQ warming rack can also be attached to the wind deflectors, so you can gently warm brioche buns up, or keep those bangers hot till you’re ready to serve the feast
- A rotisserie spit roast and shashlik grate can both be used alongside the basic grill. For the rotisserie to work, this motor attachment is needed. The shashlik grate comes with six skewers which can be used at once, just add cubes of salty halloumi or spiced lamb patties, slot into the grate and use the metal loop to turn 360 degrees
- A smart BBQ hood means the BBQ can be used as a small oven for pizzas and bread as well as a BBQ smoker, while a flat lid protects the grill from dust and dirt when it’s not in use
What can the Thuros Baikal do and what accessories can you add?
Thuros Baikal is a shashlik grill that makes barbecuing skewers at home easy and efficient. The standard BBQ includes 1 cooking grate and 6 skewers.
To really up your skewer game there are plenty of accessories you can add including:
- If you want to cook up to 12 kebabs at once, you can buy an extra set of 6 stainless steel skewers, and if you want to cook only 6, you can use an additional cooking grate to grill at the same time
- A wind deflector will keep the BBQ going even in wilder weather conditions
- Warming racks keep burgers juicy and bangers crispy till you’re ready to serve
- A rotisserie spit roast attachment with clamps makes cooking legs of lamb and whole cuts of meat easy
- A stainless steel hood helps keep the heat in as well as letting the grill act as an oven for smaller loaves of bread and a smoker
- A flat lid helps the charcoal cool down without sparks flying around
I'm going camping - which Thuros should I buy?
The Thuros T1 is the perfect model to pack when camping. It’s compact, yet made of high-quality steel, and produces great end results. Grilling at a campsite is a real joy, and with a Thuros T1, you can ensure you have a perfect BBQ for your week away. Here are more benefits of a Thuros T1 grill:
- It’s strong, transportable and easy-to-store once cooled down
- Made of high-quality stainless steel
Our two 'bundle' picks for campsite grilling are as follows:
- The simplest camping combo would combine the Thuros T1 BBQ with the Thuros T1 Stainless Steel Tabletop BBQ Lid.
- But if you're going for a bit longer, and might like to roast and smoke, as well as grill, then choose the Thuros T1 BBQ plus the Stainless Steel Tabletop BBQ Smoking Hood.
So to summarise, what are the three main Thuros grills to choose between?
The compact Thuros T1 grill is ideal for when you want to grill in small spaces and on-the-go, great for camping. It's perfect when cooking for between 2 and 4 people.
Complete with 6 skewers (and space for 6 more), the Thuros Baikal is the Turkish-style ocakbasi grill to buy for cooking juicy kebabs and skewers at home.
What other Thuros accessories will complete my BBQ experience?
Once you’ve got your BBQ in place there are plenty of accessories that’ll make caring for (and cleaning) your grill much easier, from glass fibre cleaning blocks to scrapers. You can cook mackerel with ease thanks to fish slice holders, or even try smoking salmon at home with a standalone mini smoking box.
Thuros’ BBQ mini smoking box can be used on any Thuros barbecue and adds a smoky flavour to meat or fish. The box comes complete with a plank of alder wood (to your ribs and brisket and fish that distinctive smoky flavour).
Made of foam glass, this eco-friendly block uses no chemicals and is suitable for using on all the Thuros BBQs and most other BBQs. What’s more, it will even remove any burnt-on food!
Thuros’ smoking meat hooks make smoking individual pieces of meat and fish even easier. Use the stainless steel hooks in your Thuros T1 tabletop smoker by simply piercing the food onto the S-shaped hook, then hanging from the cooking grate.
Clean your grill after use with Thuros’ BBQ scraper. As well as removing any leftovers from the grill, it’ll help prevent burnt-on food from sticking.
Thuros’ BBQ tongs help you carry burgers, bangers and skewers from grill to table with ease. Made from stainless steel, the tong handles stay cool, making them easy to use.
Place your fish fillet inside, close the handle and grill away on both sides. The fish slice holder can hold fish up to 28cm long and 12cm wide.
Thuros’ wood wool is the eco-friendly way of getting your BBQ started. Made of natural wood combined with wax, the wool, once lit, takes only 10 minutes to burn down and produces little smoke while doing so.
Ellie Edwards is the Food Editor at Sous Chef. Previously she worked at olive magazine, writing about exciting new ingredients, UK restaurants and travelling the world to find the best cinnamon buns. When she's not exploring the likes of Belize, Kerala and Zanzibar, Ellie loves rustling up a feast in her London kitchen, with a particular passion for porridge, sourdough and negronis.