These chipotle chilli flakes are made from red jalapeno chilli peppers. They’ve been smoke-dried for 72 hours, giving them the distinctive, earthy, smoky flavour that makes chipotle such a sought-after ingredient.
The chipotle flakes are moderately hot and give a smoky heat to almost anything. Chipotle is most famous in Mexican cooking, but the rest of the world has well and truly embraced this smoky chilli ingredient. Some favourite uses include burgers, chilli con carne and even sprinkled over fried eggs for brunch with a kick!
We love chipotle's gently smoky spice in this British classic.
Ingredients Serves: 2
- 50ml ale
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 120g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 25g butter
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 slices good bread
- Preheat your grill to high. Gently simmer ale and chipotle chilli flakes in a small pan for 5 minutes, making sure at least 2 tbsp of liquid remains in the pan (top up with water if too much evaporates).
- Stir in cheese, butter, Dijon mustard and mix over a low heat until only just melted. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the egg yolk. Return pan to a low heat and stir for a few of minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Toast 2 slices of good bread. Pour cheese mixture over the toast on a foil-lined baking tray. Grill for a couple of minutes until golden and bubbling.