Green hatch chillies are from the same family as New Mexican chillies, but are grown exclusively in the Hatch Valley in Hatch, New Mexico. This bright green variety is also hotter than other New Mexican chillies.
Green hatch chillies have something of a cult following in southwestern United States. Fans of the green hatch say it has no equal in the chilli world and sprinkle this powder over everything: from pineapple cocktails to popcorn and chicken enchiladas to potato salad.
This is a recipe extract from the 2017 Big Chilli Advent Calendar. Buy your 2018 Big Chilli Advent Calendar for more great chillies and recipes!
Ingredients Serves: 6
- 1 whole pineapple
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 4g green hatch chilli powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 220°C.
- Peel and core the pineapple, and cut into wedges.
- Coat in caster sugar mixed with the green hatch chilli powder.
- Spread out on a lightly oiled baking tray and roast for 20-25 minutes, turning over half way through cooking.
- To serve, lift into a dish, and pour over the caramelised roasting juices.
You can browse our full range of Dried Chillies here.