There's nothing like toasting marshmallows around the fire and sandwiching them, molten and gooey, between chocolate covered crackers. This matcha green tea s'mores recipe makes a great accompaniment to Bonfire Night. As the winter draws in matcha green tea s'mores also make a moreish treat to share gathered around a crackling fire.
Matcha green tea powder is whisked into the marshmallow giving it an extra dusky, earthy flavour and pale green hue. Prepare the marshmallow and the chocolate coated crackers in advance and let everyone help themselves. Take a marshmallow, skewer it on a Teppo skewer and toast it over the fire. Place it between the chocolate coated crackers - the chocolate will melt and ooze out along with the matcha green tea marshmallow, leaving you literally wanting 'some more.'
For the s’mores crackers Serves: 20
For the green tea matcha marshmallow
To make the s'mores crackers
- Break up the dark muscovado sugar by blitzing it in a food processor. Make sure you have got rid of all lumps.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt to the food processor and blitz for a few seconds to mix the ingredients together.
- Add the cold butter in cubes and blitz again. The mixture should resemble crumbs.
- Whisk together the milk, honey and vanilla extract in a bowl. Add it to the dry ingredients and mix by hand to form a solid dough.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- On a floured work surface roll out the cracker dough to a thickness of 1-2mm.
- Use a fluted pastry wheel to cut equal 5cm by 5cm squares.
- Transfer the squares to the baking tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
- Bake the crackers for around 10 minutes, until nicely brown and crisp. Transfer to a cooling rack.
To make the matcha marshmallow
- Mix together the icing sugar and corn flour and sift it into a small square or rectangular dish to evenly cover the bottom.
- Soak the 4 gelatine leaves in cold water.
- Heat the water and sugar in a pan to 130°C, monitoring the temperature with a sugar thermometer.
- Meanwhile in a stand mixer start beating the eggs to form stiff peaks.
- When the sugar syrup reaches 130°C add the glucose and remove from the heat. Strain the gelatine and add to the hot syrup.
- Pour the syrup over the egg whites whilst they are whisking.
- Continue to beat the mixture as the egg whites are cooking and it will turn into a smooth, fluffy marshmallow. Add the matcha tea powder.
- Once it has been whisked for 5 minutes and has cooled slightly check the flavour of the marshmallow. If necessary add a little more matcha tea powder.
- Pour the marshmallow into the dish you have prepared and leave to set for 30 minutes.
To assemble the s’mores
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bain marie.
- Before your guests arrive spoon a little chocolate onto the under sides of all the crackers. Leave to set.
- Cut the marshmallow up into squares and roll them in the icing sugar/ corn flour mixture.
- Each guest should skewer a couple of squares of marshmallow on their Teppo skewer and toast it in the fire – the toastier the better! They can then help themselves to a couple of chocolate coated crackers, sandwiching their molten marshmallow between them.