Ingredients Serves: 4
- 100g pistachio paste
- 300g courgettes
- 3 medium eggs
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 225g plain white flour
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
To Garnish (optional)
- 50g pistachios toasted
- 100g sugar
- 25ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Trim the courgette ends and grate them finely.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer until pale, light and creamy. (If you don’t have one, a wooden spoon and mixing bowl are fine.) Fold in the courgettes, pistachio paste, flour, lemon zest, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Combine everything, scooping up the mixture from the bottom of the bowl, but be careful not to over-mix.
- Put into a 20cm (8in) cake tin that you’ve buttered and base-lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for 45-50 minutes. The cake is cooked when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn the cake out onto a wire rack, carefully peel off the paper and turn the cake the right way up. Leave to cool completely.
- Put the sugar and water in a pan and bring to boil, let it reach 114 degrees then add the pistachios remove from the heat and stir vigorously until they crystallise.
- To serve slice into small, neat rectangles & decorate by piping dots of lemon curd and garnish with mixed berries & crystallised pistachios. Serve with cherry sorbet.
For exciting cookery courses go to www.seasonedcourses.com