Red jalapeños are sweeter and earthier than their green counterparts. They’ve been left on the plant to ripen instead of being picked while green, which makes them slightly hotter. Red jalapeño flakes are a versatile seasoning – sprinkle over dishes just before serving, mix into salad dressings, infuse in oil or add to sauces and salsas.
Ingredients Serves: 2
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ diced onion
- 1 diced small green pepper
- 2 diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp red jalapeño chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50g feta
- 4 eggs
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small frying pan. Sauté the onion and green pepper for 5 minutes until they start to colour.
- Add the tomatoes, red jalapeño chilli flakes and salt. Cook for another few minutes until the tomatoes soften.
- Whilst the vegetables cook, cut feta into small cubes and crack the eggs into a separate bowl.
- Tip the cooked vegetables into another dish and pour another 1 tbsp olive oil into the frying pan over medium heat. Pour in the eggs, and let them sit for 30 seconds.
- Using a spatula, scrape the eggs from the base of the pan and move them around gently to scramble them.
- When lightly set, remove the pan from heat. Stir in the vegetable mix, diced feta and a small handful of chopped coriander.
- Serve with warmed tortilla wraps or on toast, and sprinkle with flaky sea salt at the table.